Birding by Season offers year-round guided tours that take individuals and small groups on an amazing journey through Southwestern Newfoundland. Our comfortable tours are interpretative and can be combined or customized at a pace set by you.
As indicated on our COVID-19 page, all tours for now are private, self-drive tours (your guide will be in a separate car). Tours can be set up for a half day to a series of single-day outings. If you plan to stay in the area and would like to combine tours, we would be happy to assist you with overnight accommodations and your vehicle rental. Do-it-Yourself tour options are also available for those looking for a bit more freedom.
Click on the tour links for more information about each tour.
Birding Experiences :
French Ancestors Route (2 days)
Birding the Port au Port Peninsula
- Experience Indigenous and Acadian-Francophone culture rich in tradition
Songbirds, Raptors & Fossils (1 day)
Birding Stephenville and vicinity
- Includes time at one of the oldest tree fossil beds in the world
Bird Sanctuary & Medicine Walk (1 day)
Birding Stephenville Crossing and vicinity
- Includes a medicine walk led by a local Indigenous Tour Guide
South Coast Barrens (1 day)
Birding Cape Ray and vicinity
- Explore rich habitat in an Important Bird Area (IBA) and a Provincial Park
Birding Nature Reserves on the south west coast of Newfoundland
- Explore unique riparian habitat and a RAMSAR wetland of international importance
Warblers, Waterfowl and Shorebirds (5-day tour)
Birding Codroy Valley and vicinity
- Discover the birdlife unique to this area in one of the richest birding areas on the Island
Winter Birding Adventure (5-day tour)
Stephenville, Port au Port Peninsula
- Includes caribou viewing by snowshoe, a snowmobile ride and boil up
- Birding by hour or combine two or more day tours and set the pace for a comprehensive birding experience through an area rich in birds, tradition and natural beauty.
All tours begin and end in Stephenville, except for our 5-day Codroy Valley tour. This outing begins and ends at Codroy Valley, just 30 minutes to Route 406 from the Port aux Basque Ferry.
We are located at Stephenville – 2 hours from the Port aux Basques Ferry, 1.5 hours from Deer Lake Airport or fly into Stephenville Airport.