Birding by Season offers year-round guided tours that take individuals and small groups on an amazing journey through Southwestern Newfoundland. Our comfortable tours are interpretative and can be combined or customized at a pace set by you.
As indicated on our COVID-19 page, all tours for now are private, self-drive tours (your guide will be in a separate car). Tours can be set up for a half day to a series of single-day outings. If you plan to stay in the are and would like to combine tours, we would be happy to assist you with overnight accommodations and your vehicle rental. Do-it-Yourself tour options are also available for those looking for a bit more freedom.
Click on the tour links for more information about each tour.
Birding Experiences :
French Ancestors Route (2 single days)
Birding the Port au Port Peninsula
- Experience Acadian and Francophone communities rich in oral tradition
Songbirds, Raptors & Fossils (1 day)
Birding Stephenville and vicinity
- Includes time at of one of the oldest tree fossil beds in the world
Bird Sanctuary & Medicine Walk (1 day)
Birding Stephenville Crossing and vicinity
- Includes a medicine walk led by a local Indigenous Tour Guide
South Coast Barrens (1 day)
Birding Cape Ray Barrens and vicinity
- Explore rich habitat in an Important Bird Area (IBA) and a Provincial Park
Birding Nature Reserves in Codroy Valley
- Home to one of the richest birding areas on the Island and the only Provincial RAMSAR site
Winter Birding Adventure (7-day tour coming soon)
Stephenville, Port au Port Peninsula
- Birding and caribou viewing by snowshoe; includes a snowmobile ride and boil up
- Birding by hour or combine two or more tours and set the pace for a comprehensive birding experience through an area rich in birds, tradition and natural beauty.
All tours begin and end in Stephenville – 2 hours from the Port aux Basques Ferry, 1.5 hours from Deer Lake Airport or fly into Stephenville Airport